Bradford Council working with EB Charging to expand EV charging network

Bradford Council is working with EB Charging Ltd to expand its electric vehicle charging network, after successfully receiving funding from the Government’s On-Street Residential Charge Point Scheme.

The council has received over £300,000 from the scheme, part of the Government’s Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) and supported by the Energy Saving Trust.

This will enable 38 new fast charging points to be installed across 14 locations, allowing 75 electric vehicles to plug in. The grant will cover 75 per cent of the funding, with the council investing the other 25 per cent from Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funding.

Most of these new charge points will be in residential areas where there is no off-street parking, such as areas with terraced houses, cottages and flats, where there are no driveways to install private charge points.

The locations are on council-owned land used for parking – either car parks or laybys – which are accessible 24 hours per day.

The council is working with EB Charging Ltd to deliver this scheme and other additional charge points for the district.

Cllr Sarah Ferriby, Portfolio Holder for Healthy People and Places, said: “This is a very welcome investment in our district’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure. It will give more people access to charge points within walking distance of their homes – something which until now has been a challenge, with over half of housing in the district being flats and terraced properties.

“Hopefully, this will encourage more people to consider switching to electric vehicles.

“West Yorkshire is already leading the way, with the UKs biggest rapid charging network outside of London.” 

EB Charging CEO Alex Calnan said: “We have been thoroughly impressed with this ambitious infrastructure programme. Providing additional on-street charging options will encourage more drivers to make the switch to electric, and make a real contribution to a low carbon future and clean, healthy air for all.”

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.

Sign up for our essential
newsletter service.

Enter your details here.